Monday, April 6, 2009

in loving memory...

We left Thursday at around 11 am arrived at 10 pm. My aunt greeted us with the tightest hugs and some well deserved sobs. My brother and I had the honor of going in to see my uncle without anyone else in the room. He was hooked up to so many machines yet he looked at peace. The next morning, the dr. gave the news: he had no brain activity, there was no chance he'd wake from the coma. He was gone. Needless to say, my aunt and cousins lost it. We rushed to the hospital and into the very crowded room where everyone was hugging, my aunt saw my brother and me and yelled for us to come to her, she squeezed us so tightly telling us she couldn't do this without us there. You see my dad only has one sibling, so we're her only blood niece and nephews. I broke down seeing her so hurt and knowing we'd lost him. Technically he was still breathing and his heart was still beating, but he had been gone since his heart had stopped the first time on Sunday. My dad was her hero, he consoled her and even made her laugh, she was so weak from being emotionally exhausted that she couldn't walk or stand without his help. He brought her to the conclusion that it was time to let him go and turn the machines off. She agreed, so on Saturday afternoon, we said our final goodbyes, my aunt told the story of when I was a little girl visiting in New Mexico, my uncle had convinced me that Indians loved little blonde girls and loved their scalps. haha it was an honor to know that one of my favorite stories to tell, was also his. We watched them stop the machines that kept him alive, we watched him take his last breath, his last heartbeat. My aunt scram and lunged at him and begged him to wake up. But it was over. He passed. My uncle was a man of few words, he would speak when something was meaningful or he'd say something hilarious. It was an honor to watch his last moments, although very hard to do, I'm glad we did. Kyler was the child most touched by the event of death, he kept telling me "I'm so sorry your uncle didn't make it." I know it was best for him, in his final weeks, he kept telling everyone he was speaking with GOD and he said his goodbyes to most. What's odd about that is that there was nothing wrong with him that was fatal. He felt death coming and he was tired of life. When he lay there with his breath slipping away, he looked more peaceful than I've ever seen.

This was the last time we saw my uncle as himself, at our wedding in 2000. We were married on his birthday. He's in the left corner
My uncle David in the front left. My dad, Joey, cousin Tiffany and Johnny in the back. Ian on the right.

My family: cousin Tiffany, aunt Ruth, me, Joey, Johnny, uncle David, mom, Danielle and dad.

Thurday: the drive to New Mexico...
New Mexico



New Mexico




the arches in Southern Utah





Moab





Friday: this is my cousin Tiffany's little girl Aleisa, born only a few weeks after Lexi.







Saturday after his passing:
my aunt Ruth and I.








my dad with Lexi









Johnny with aunt Ruth










Joey and my dad











Joey and aunt Ruth











My cousin Rob and dad. There's a Robert in every generation in my family, here are 2 of them. (Joey's middle name is Robert as well)












Joey, dad and myself with my cousin Johnny in the back (haha)













the siblings (excuse the puffy, red eyes; for we only slept a few hours a night and I cried most of the days)









My cousin Tiffany and her baby Johnny. She is my only female cousin on my dad's side and we're only a year apart.












Me and my dad











the boys playing dominoes









here's Johnny!








my 2nd cousins, Jasmine and Olivia

















Sunday, the drive home:
exhausted mom and Kyler
mom and Lexi















New Mexico



















New Mexico

Thanks to everyone for the sympathy. There are so many emotions and intimate moments this last week has brought, it's just nice to know there are so many people out there that care.

1 comment: